May 13, 2024

Little Big Day

The past Saturday was World Migratory Bird Day and Big Day. Continuing my streak of local birding, I woke up just before 6 and took an abbreviated route through the park. I didn't come across anything extraordinary, but I did see my first yellow warblers and barn swallows of the year. I then headed into the little wooded area of the archery range.




Although the archery range didn't hold a huge variety of warblers, there were some redstarts, a gray-cheeked thrush and broad-winged hawk. After wandering through the range for a little while, I went back through the park and heard/saw that the green herons had recently returned.

On Sunday morning I made another visit to the Bois de Sioux riverside. There was a wider selection of warblers, and I'm planning to head there again soon to nab some more first-of-the-years.