May 15, 2022

Big Midwest Weekend - Part 1

Was I supposed to be birdwatching or storm chasing (or storm-chased)? Easy to forget as I made my drive through South Dakota on Thursday afternoon. Perhaps twenty miles south of Watertown, I-29 was swallowed by a startlingly dark mass of cloud and dirt, forcing Interstate travelers such as myself onto shoulders and underneath overpasses. Strong winds and heavy rains buffeted the car a good while before letting up to drivable conditions. The next ten minutes revealed the carnage with semis and their trailers tipped into the shoulders and ditches.

I paused for gas in Sioux Falls and, figuring I wouldn't make it to Sioux City before sunset as planned, decided to do a bit of birding at Sherman Park.

The park was a mess of garbage bins and debris flung about by the storm. Ambulances and other emergency vehicles were active. Several traffic lights were out. I had twenty minutes at the park before dark clouds began rolling back over town, and the rain resumed. With the weather updates warning of half-dollar hail, I ducked my car into the nearest sturdy cover I could find--the drive-thru at the nearby Walgreens-- and waited out the worst of the day's second storm before hopping back on interstate, hoping I was done with the worst of the weekend's weather. All the way to Onawa, Iowa, I was treated to an incredible show of nature--huge streaks of lightning cutting across the sky and dancing to the horizon on either side of me.

The next morning, gray but calm skies stretched over the DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge. The refuge was packed with orchard orioles, dickcissels and swallows, and although I didn't see anything to add to the life list, it was a good start to a busy day of birding.









After DeSoto, it was time for Missouri. It was also time for a few lifers to pop up. The Brickyard Hill Conversation Area was a nice little woodland area nestled onto its namesake not far from Interstate, and not long after jumping out of the car I added the beautiful Kentucky warbler, the energetic tufted titmouse and the stunning white-eyed vireo to the life list! There were also lots of cool butterflies and moths fluttering about the lower vegetation.







Mound City was my next destination. The day was getting hotter and hotter--not something I will complain about considering the day prior (not to mention the winter too recent in mind). I made a quick pause at the Mound City marsh, but the heat and glaring sun were quite intense, and the water was looking rather desolate but for a few Canadas so I headed to my hotel to unwind.

As the sun began to set, I set off around town. For an interstate town, Mound City was rustic. It was awesome seeing so many purple martin houses around.






It was a great day for birdwatching--a great start to the weekend. And Big Day was still to come.