Apr 9, 2023

Ending Winter!

It turns out that spring does exist. The snow has finally started to melt, and with the rising temperatures of the past few days has come a flurry of birds. Juncos are raving, lone gulls are soaring over town and, to me best of all, the grackles are trickling back! It has been refreshing to see so many birds about the neighborhood after a streak of very quiet Project FeederWatch weekends.

With weather no longer an excuse, I've gone out to play with the R6 and check out the local bird activity. Last weekend, I hung out at the park where the chickadees and juncos were sampling birdfeed placed between the main ponds.




I was very pleased with the autofocus of the R6 which, as it should, functioned quickly and accurately in spite of the busy backgrounds. It really did well in finding birds amid branches. I trudged through the snow-covered river to try and get some shots of a resting flock of Canada geese, but the range was a bit much for the 100-500mm.

This morning I swung by the local sunflower plant to photograph the rock pigeons at sunrise but was having some lens (inexperience) difficulties with the 800mm and decided to walk down to the fairgrounds to see what was around. I was getting annoyed at plunging through ankle- to knee-deep snow, but I'm glad I went through it, for when I reached the popular fishing spot at the back of the fairgrounds, I spotted a river otter rolling around in the snow. The otter was on the far side of the river, so again a bit long for the 100-500, but it was fun just to watch, and after a little while, the otter slipped into an open spot of ice.



I was sat in a small clearing with trees and brush to either side. The chickadees were completely unphased by my presence, as was a hermit thrush which landed on the snow but a few feet from me. I was also happy to get some okay shots of a ruby-crowned kinglet flitting about the branches. These shots were all taken with the 2x extender coupled with the 100-500. Between the extender, clouded lighting and shooting at 6400 ISO, there was a noticeable drop in sharpness, but the auto focus continued to perform quite well, almost always locking onto the kinglet in point mode even when there were branches between us. Next time I'm using the extender in similar conditions, I will have to experiment with different ISOs to see what I can get away with.





The seven-day forecast calls for sun, rain and of course a slight chance of snow, but as the birds continue to return, I look forward to getting out more and more and continuing to learn the R6.