Jun 13, 2024

Juneau '24, Part V

Point Bridget State Park was probably the spot I was most looking forward to. Months before my touchdown in Juneau, my friend reserved us the Blue Mussel Cabin for a night. The cabin is in the perfect spot for birdwatching off the point.

But before making the drive to Bridget on Wednesday (May 29), my friend had a bit of work to take care of down at the Auke Nu Cove. So, while my friend worked, I walked about the cove with my camera.


Windy conditions shortened the workday for my friend, and in the middle of the afternoon we drove up the highway to the Point Bridget Trailhead. With my camera zipped up in my back, we made the hike at a good pace and unloaded at the cabin. It was a little after seven o'clock when we got ourselves comfortable on the rocks of the point and set our sights on the water and gorgeously blue skies. It would be an awesome evening.

Our first Humpback Whale of the evening, a young Bald Eagle, a (lifer!) Common Murre, and my closest look at a Pacific Loon all within the first hour of sitting set the tone.




Other birds included loads of gulls, scoters, Pigeon Guillemots, a lone oystercatcher, and some Harlequin Ducks. There was also a Harbor Seal or two plus a Sea Lion.

But the real show began a little after nine.


For half an hour, this Humpback Whale dunked, slapped, fluked, and breached. Its first breach happened within a few hundred feet of my friend and I, and it was absolutely crazy. The noise of the whale hitting the water combined with the sight of such a huge animal propelling itself into the air--wow. Pictures and videos won't do the experience justice. The trip was a lot of fun. But this evening and this whale really stood out.









As the sun continued to set, we headed back to the cabin. My friend filtered water and cooked up the food, and we enjoyed the fresh air while we ate, then got ready for bed.