Sep 6, 2022

Juneau VI: Too many pictures!

As much fun as I have going on these big trips and seeing all kinds of new species and familiar birds in new locations, I do not enjoy transferring, identifying, naming and picking through thousands and thousands of photos. There's a reason it has taken me weeks to post all the photos of my eleven-day trip (it was supposed to be ten days, but my original return flight was cancelled). The reason was not that I was too busy, but, anyways, let's get this over with!

The first of August was a big highlight of my trip, for my friend and I were booked on an all-day boat tour of the Stacy Arm Fjord. Considering I've only been on tiny fishing boats and pontoons on small Minnesota lakes for short durations, we stocked up on some preventative medicines for motion sickness. Thankfully, the water on the channel ended up extremely calm. I'll let the pictures do the talking, but I have to say that if you're willing to shell out nearly two hundred dollars for a boat tour, you may as well be outside of the cabin! Just about everybody else on the tour missed out on the pair of orca my friend and I got a great view of through my friend's binos (by that point I was done taking pictures and just wanted to relax).








White-winged scoter spotted! This was a bird I'm pretty sure I saw when I went to visit my friend on Kodiak Island back in 2019, but I deleted all my pictures from the first two days on accident and lost all my records.
















The last picture here shows the second lifer species of the day--arctic terns seen amongst all the gulls which were flying about the iceberg.