Mar 14, 2022

Little bit of everything

It's amazing that I'm awake enough to write after arriving home from the Tool show in Minneapolis at 3am and hitting my alarm at 7 this morning to go to work, but I've felt myself surprisingly vigilant today considering the depthless sleep. Perhaps the greatness of the show has propped me. But Tool's performance played second best of the weekend, upstaged by the state championship game of the Minnesota Class AA boy's hockey tournament—an instant classic, double-overtime affair which would keep anybody with half an interest in good hockey at their seat's edge.

And of course, I got out for my fair share of birding around the Twin Cities area, making a stop en route at the Crow-Hassan Park Reserve where I saw my first trumpeter swans and rough-legged hawks of the year.



Plus this very cooperative nuthatch.




This cardinal along the paths of the Kane Meadows was also photographically friendly in his perching.


The last birding venture for the weekend was a visit to the Mississippi Gateway Regional Park. No decent pictures were managed there, but I did spot my first hooded mergansers and common goldeneyes for the year!